I wanted to be an astronaut.
I built my first website when I was 13 (anyone remember GeoCities?) but my professional career started with a few years in the web hosting industry, manning a helpdesk and installing servers in datacentres. Moving away from network infrastructure and into design and development, I spent the following decade as a Quality Assurance Manager and User Experience designer at an award-winning design agency.
My particular areas of interest are usability, accessibility and inclusive design, which is all about making things fun and easy for everyone to use. I'm passionate about accessibility and inclusive design in my professional life because, as a child of disabled parents, I've seen what happens when people are excluded by poor design. Consider a wide range of abilities and disabilities from the start and you’ll end up with an elegant product that works well for lots of different people in different situations. Leave it until the last minute and you’ll find yourself trying to bolt-on an ugly adaptation that compromises the experience for everyone.
When I'm not working, I'm a keen amateur photographer. You can see what I've been up to on Flickr. I'm married to Charlotte, a geography teacher, who has more letters after her name than I can remember. Do you know how volcanic activity varies in relation to the type of plate margin? I don't, but she does.
I've been fortunate to work across a wide range of industries, from retail, travel and entertainment to finance, healthcare and education. I've worked on projects for Toys R Us, The Entertainer, Hornby, Harrods, Arcadia Group, Asos, Thomas Pink, Graze, Sofology, Mastercard, Universal, Humanists UK, the NHS and the Department of Health, to name a few.
- Gathering requirements and writing functional specifications;
- Creating personas and user stories;
- Researching and planning information architecture;
- Designing wireframes and interactive prototypes;
- Performing accessibility audits and reviews;
- Analysing the results of usability research;
- Writing test plans, test cases and checklists;
- Coordinating and performing quality assurance and testing;
I'm a designer and software tester with combination of creative and technical skills.
- I've been working for
- 14 years
- I studied
- BSc (Hons) Design & Innovation
- I specialise in
- Usability and Accessibility
- I've done a lot of
- UX design, UI & Interaction Design, Information Architecture, usability testing, accessibility auditing, functional testing, HTML, CSS
- I've done a bit of